Crete of Greece, botanical paradise in the Mediterranean
Thanks to the Mediterranean weather and the exceptional soil quality, Crete, the largest island of Greece, has one of the richest ecosystems in Europe with abundance of organic treasures. There are 2,000 flora species and out of them 200 are endemic to Crete, i.e. only available in the island.
Crete is one of the places around the globe having the longest history in growing olive trees and using olive oil. According to archaeological study, since 3500 BC (denoting a Bronze Age civilization centred on Crete), i.e. the Minoan period, Cretans have been cultivating olive trees and using olive oil. Olive oil was a kind of necessity in Minoan’s daily lives, from diets, personal care to medicines.
Apart from olive, many herbs and wildflowers, like thyme, sage and rosemary as well as daisies, camomile, iris and orchid, are also common in Crete and have been included in medical and/or culinary uses for millenniums. Minoans in the ancient Greece were the world’s first cosmetic producers using natural herbs, which were offered to the kings and queens as sacrifice.
This valuable and unique tradition was seriously adopted by some Greek companies today to further reveal the power of the Cretan natures. Estival Life has carefully reviewed and selected BIOselect®, who has fulfilled our keen aspirations:
– Full range of ICEA CERTIFIED ORGANIC cosmetics and skincare products
– NOT using synthetic materials, petroleum products, harmful preservatives, synthetic fragrances and colors, ethoxylates, propylene glycol, PEGs, silicones, parabens or other chemical preservatives
– NO animal testing
– NOT using genetically modified organisms (GMO)
– Maintain the HIGHEST STANDARD of quality and control throughout the product stages
– Compliance of European Union’s Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) for cosmetics